The Ian Millar School of Horsemanship offers riding day camps throughout the year including PD Days, March Break and over the summer holidays. Day camp with the Ian Millar School of Horsemanship is a great way to introduce your child to horseback riding and feed their love of animals in a fun and safe environment!
Our camp day starts at 9:00AM, camper drop-off begins at 8:30AM. Our day wraps up at 4:00PM with camper pick-up ending at 4:30PM. Campers stay occupied with a wide range of activities throughout the week, including games, crafts, outdoor play, equine theory, hands on learning, and of course horseback riding lessons! The ratio of campers to counselors is five to one.
Thank you for your interest in summer camp with the Ian Millar School of Horsemanship. Registration for all camps is now full, we hope you will join us next year!
BEGINNER SUMMER DAY CAMPS:
Minimum age: 7 years old
These day camps are designed for children with little to no horseback riding experience. Campers stay occupied with a wide range of activities throughout the week, including games, crafts, outdoor play, equine theory, hands on learning and horseback riding lessons!
- July 2nd – 5th, 2019 / FULL
- July 22nd – 26th, 2019 / FULL
- July 29th – August 2nd, 2019 / FULL
- August 6th – 9th, 2019 / FULL
- August 12th – 16th, 2019 / FULL
- August 19th – 23rd, 2019 / FULL
PRE-SCHOOL SUMMER DAY CAMPS:
Age requirements: 4 – 6 years old
Select from half or full day camp with sessions running from 9:00am to 12:30pm and 1:00pm to 4:30pm. Designed for young children with little to no horseback riding experience, campers will enjoy their first hands-on experiences with horses through grooming and riding lessons! Campers also stay occupied with outdoor play, entertaining theory and safety lessons, games, crafts and more.
- July 8th – 12th, 2019 / FULL
SHOW SUMMER DAY CAMPS:
These day camps are open to children and adults who are already partaking in regular lessons. In addition to riding lessons, campers will learn important skills to get them ready for competition, and have the opportunity to learn from show officials at the Ottawa Equestrian Tournaments!
Riding level: Campers are required to be able to jump a short 18″ course at the canter. Show experience, or plans to show, are not required.
Minimum age: 10 years old
- July 8th – 12th, 2019 / FULL
- July 15th – 19th, 2019 / FULL
Getting Ready for Camp:
We want to make sure that everyone is prepared for a fun filled week, so here are a few reminders:
- Please bring or wear appropriate riding apparel: A boot with a heel for safety purposes – no fashion boots please. Slim leg pants, like leggings – no jeans, capris, or shorts please. We will supply helmets for riders who do not have their own.
- We are a nut aware facility. We often have campers that have serious nut allergies, so please avoid lunch foods with any sort of nut.
At Wesley Clover Parks safety is always first. We are committed to the safety of our campers, horses, and team. We will adapt camp activities in order to mitigate any safety concerns (i.e. weather, power outages, etc.). We appreciate your understanding!
- Read Ontario Equestrian’s Guide for New Riders here.
- Download the 2017 OEF Concussion Policy and Return to Play Guidelines here.
Ticks are most often-found in forests and wooded areas but they can also live in shrubs, tall grass and leaves. By taking precautions you can enjoy the great outdoors! Visit http://www.ottawapublichealth.ca/en/public-health-topics/lyme-disease.aspx for more information about ticks and preventing Lyme disease.